I have been asked to give some help with finding your way around the Journal. I hope these pointers will be of assistance.
- Note to Microsoft Windows users: Clicking on any link with the right mouse button instead of the left will open a menu. From it you can choose to open the link in a new tab or a new window of your browser.
The Menu Bar
This is the list of options running down the left-hand side of the site. The first links take you away from the Journal to other parts of the Connecting-Space Website. Clicking on the Journal link will take you to the Connecting-Space Journal Welcome Page. Once you have logged in to the Journal the options listed below are available.
Your Personal Section, headed Welcome username
- In this section the first link is ‘Write’. (If you have Subscriber rights you will not see this link, please ignore this and go to the ‘Profile’ paragraph.) Clicking this will take you to the writing side of the website where you can post your own material. Remember to save your work at regular intervals, and also before previewing it. At the moment, while we are testing the site, anything that you write will not appear on the website until it has been previewed by one of the Site Moderators. Once we have ironed out all the bugs we will give you the authority to publish your own posts.
- You can navigate back to the Journal at any time by clicking ‘View site’ at the top of the page (next to the big ‘Connecting Space’ title).
- The next link is ‘Profile’. Clicking this will take you to your own profile details, which you can edit to suit yourself. You may want to change your password, and fill in more information about yourself. When you are satisfied with your profile, click the ‘Update Profile’ button to save it.
- The ‘Logout’ link is self-evident.
- In this section you will see the titles of the 10 latest posts, listed in reverse date order. To view one of these, just click on the title.
- At the end of each post you will see any replies that have been written by other users. At the very bottom of the page is a text box titled Leave a Reply in which you can type your response to the post. When you are happy with what you have written, click the button labelled ‘Submit Comment’. Your reply will not appear immediately; the software we are using requires us to moderate these entries.
- This section lists the categories under which posts have been grouped. If you click on a category name, all the posts written in this category will be displayed, the most recent post appearing first.
- At the end of each post you will see a ‘Comments’ link, showing how many other users have left a reply to this post. If you click on the link you will see the replies and be able to leave your own (see Recent Entries above).
- The Archives section contains posts grouped by the month in which they were written.
- You can search the Journal by typing your search criteria in the text box and clicking the ‘Search’ button.
I will continue to add more posts in Technical Matters as the need arises, based on questions you ask me. If you need further help please email me and I’ll reply as soon as I can.
1 Response • Leave a response